The Famous, Fighting
This is my collection of 4th Inf. Div. Insignia. The badges date from World War I through Vietnam.
At center left are some examples of the Vietnam era (so called) "beer can" badges, which were made from
sheet metal by local Vietnamese companies.
Some of the older insignia is made from cast bronze and copper, as well as the traditional brass.
The colors vary from Army Green (AG), to olive drab (OD), to olive green (OG), to khaki, and black.
Fourth Infantry Division
God bless our troops.
"Steadfast and Loyal"
About me:

"Steadfast and Loyal"
The motto of the Fighting Fourth.
I was originally assigned to the Fourth Infantry Division G1 (Plans/Admin) at Camp Enari in Pleiku, South Vietnam, in the summer of 1967. My first assignment was to
gather personnel intel for the G1's daily General's briefing in the "War Room" (DTOC - Division Tactical Operations Center).

During the buildup of the Tet Offensive, in the last days of January 1968,and throughout that campaign, I was reassigned to Hq. & Hq. Co.,
4th Reaction Force. This
was a temporary, unit that reported to the HHC Commander. About a week later I was assigned as a team leader to that unit, then later in February as a (TDY)
member of the
4th Recon Team.

In the Reaction Force our special orders were to protect the base camp Division Headquarters which consisted of G1, G2, G3, G4, G5, the  Commandant's and
General Officers' quarters, the
Division War Room and Division Tactical Operations Center between the "hours of darkness" or the so-called "hours of challenging.
The shift was 6:00 PM and 6:00 AM. This was an inside the perimeter job in the event that our perimeter security was over run. Fortunately, we had a good, secure
base camp perimeter, so the only activity we had was during the Tet Offensive with mortar and artillery attacks.

We also made "
recon visits" to area villages during the day ... sometimes at night. I was on OJT (on the job training) with real Recon guys and reported to G5. It was a
bit unnerving to be learning as you go, rather than be really, properly trained back in the US. We usually traveled in four-man teams, consisting of a team leader
(properly trained in such matters), two riflemen (one, a radio op), and an interpreter. Our assignment was usually to inspect and search villages and hamlets for
evidence of possible enemy activity, food and arms caches, and to interview the villagers to gather area intelligence for headquarters.

Those two jobs involved swing shifts, either day or night ... often both. During the Tet Offensive, it wasn't uncommon to work 36 or 48 hours without sleep. By
contrast, base camp guard duty was a relief with the usual hours of "one on and two off" or "two on and four off."

I served under Major General, William R. Peers (July-67 to Jan-68) and Major General, Charles P. Stone (Jan-68 to July-68.

4th Reaction Force and 4th Recon Team was assigned by the Headquarters Company Commanding Officer to G1 (Plans), and worked with G2 (Intelligence), G5
(Civil Affairs), and on a few occasions, did details with agents of the CIA ("spooks" are curious fellows).

Interestingly, we also had to escort and provide protection for various visiting Pentagon-types on fact-finding tours, and some (unknown to me) senators and
congressmen. Some of our most memorable assignments were to perform as bodyguards for visiting entertainers. One very memorable one was to provide night
time security for Martha Rae and her troupe of dancing girls. Martha, and the ladies, were very lovely, friendly, charming people - that's a night I will never forget.


But before that ...
"Vigilant and Invincible"
That was our motto in the US Army (Coastal) Air Defense Command, in those days under NORAD and CONAD (North American Air Defense and Continental Air
In 1965, I originally I joined the US Army to train as a Communications Specialist. I spent 2 years at an Army Air Defense Command site (ARADCOM) in Highlands, New
Jersey, the 19th Artillery Group HAADS, (Highlands Army Air Defense Site -NIKE), under the 52nd Artillery Brigade at Fort Hancock, Sandy Hook, New Jersey. Some of
our activities were attached as temporary duty (TDY) to the US Army's Communications Center (Signal Corps) at Fort Monmouth, New Jersey, which consisted of
classes (giving and receiving) in communications, mission operations, comms theory, classified document transmittal and distribution (courier). This was really
great duty, especially if you are a Ham Radio Operator and interested in electronics - Uncle Sam sure has some great (and expensive) toys, not to mention the "007"
aspect of it since all this required Security Clearances (good old James Bond was the pop hero of the time). Once my 2-year assignment ran out in July of 1967, it
was off to Vietnam ... but you already read about that.
Dragon Mtn.
More Dragon Mountain
Some Nice memories
Go see the famous Dragon Mountain
This site is under construction.
As soon as I convert some of my several hundred 35mm slides to .jpg format
I'll post some of the more interesting ones here.
Here is a glass sun-catcher
that my sister, Carol, gave to
me on Christmas 2007.

Carol is a gifted artist and
craftsperson. As can be
seen, this rendition of our
insignia is testimony to her
abilities with glass and lead.

This  stained glass ornament
measures about 8-inches
from point-to-point, and
casts a brilliant gold and
green glow into the room,
which really isn't captured
by the photograph.

my "badge" hanging
in front of the morning sun
is a constant reminder of my
"steadfast and loyal"
comrades and outfit - a
proud, fitting, and
appreciated tribute.
4th ID insignia,

subdued insignia

Jungle fatigue
Join the
Fourth Infantry Division